Roger Federer: ‘He keeps raising the bar’

After almost a year without playing any official match and with a halo of permanent mystery about his possible return to the courts, Roger Federer has finally spoken, making some statements about his future and the current state of his knee. In an interview with SRF Sport, the Swiss tennis player addressed some interesting topics and gave some important indications about his return to the courts, with the stated goal of participating in the Laver Cup and the Basel tournament at the end of the year. Federer, who underwent surgery in August last year, played his last official match on July 7, losing in three sets to Hubert Hurkacz in the Wimbledon quarterfinals.

Federer was very happy for Rafa

Roger Federer lavished praise on Rafael Nadal in light of his recent accomplishments at the 2022 French Open. “I didn’t watch the final, I watched the quarter-final (against Djokovic) a bit before I went to sleep. In general, it’s just unbelievable what Rafa has achieved. The record of Pete Sampras, which I beat, was 14 Grand Slam titles. Now Rafa has won the French Open 14 times,” Federer said. “That’s unbelievable. I was happy for him that he did it again. Hats off to Rafa. After the 10th or 11th time, I already thought: This can’t be. He keeps raising the bar. It’s gigantic. He also added: “I haven’t planned more than the Laver Cup and Basel yet. After Basel, the season is over anyway. It’s important for me to get fit again so that I can train fully,” Federer said. “Once I’ve done that, I can choose how many tournaments I play and where. The Laver Cup is a good start, I don’t have to play five matches in six days.” At Wimbledon, we often see Federer’s family in attendance when he wins a title. Interestingly, Federer’s father, Robert Federer, did not witness his first two Wimbledon titles from the stadium, as he counted himself unlucky for his son. However, he came back to Wimbledon in 2005, and this time the result was different from his last visit. In the final, Federer played against American Andy Roddick. The Swiss star was off to a quick start, as he won the first set in quick fashion. In the second set, the American gave a tough fight but Federer won the set in a tie-breaker. Then, there was a short delay due to rain, as Robert Federer was sitting on the stand nervously.