Former world No. 7 Richard Gasquet and Germany’s Peter Gojowczyk have withdrawn from an ATP event in Melbourne.
Melbourne 250 update:
IN: Gojowczyk, Gasquet
— Entry List Updates (@EntryLists) December 28, 2021
Gasquet, now ranked at No. 87 in the world, started his 2021 season at the Murray River Open in Melbourne.
Gasquet, 35, didn’t impress in Melbourne as he lost to Mackenzie McDonald in his opener at the tournament.
Gasquet had been expected to play an ATP event in Melbourne this year as well.
Gojowczyk didn’t play any of the two ATP events that took place in Melbourne this year but he was hoping to play one in 2022.
Gasquet planned to travel to Australia on December 27
“I’m leaving on December 27th. for the Australian Open, it will come quickly. Glad to be able to play it again. The end can come, so I’m happy to do it this year. We must try to set off again and prepare well for a good season. I managed to finish in the top 100 in 2021, I hope to do the same this year. And as long as I can play, it’s nice to continue,” Gasquet said in a recent interview.
Gasquet’s last match of the 2021 season came at the Davis Cup FInals, where he suffered a surprise 7-6 (3) 6-2 loss to Tomas Machac.
“It’s quite rare that I lose so much confidence in a game, it has rarely happened to me,” Gssquet said after the shock loss. “I was bad on the match. I did not manage to find the energy. It was especially the loss of the first set that really hurt me more than it should have.”
Also, Gasquet said he doesn’t see the current Davis Cup format surviving for too long.
“I think it (Davis Cup) will return, in two-three years, to something more in its old spirit. I don’t see how it’s possible to keep it the way it is,” Gasquet said.