Injury forces Nick Kyrgios to give Roberto Bautista Agut walkover in Mallorca

World No. 45 Nick Kyrgios woke up with an abdominal pain on Wednesday morning and he has decided to pull out of the rest of the Mallorca Open. 

Kyrgios, 27, was scheduled to meet Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut in the Mallorca round-of-16. 

“I’m really sorry I’m going to have to withdraw from tonight’s match here in Mallorca. I have been playing a lot of great matches lately and unfortunately I woke up with a pain in my abs. I went to see the tournament doctor right away and he advised that I don’t play tonight. I really value the Mallorca Championships but I will follow his advice as I don’t want to risk Wimbledon next week,” Kyrgios said in a statement.

Kyrgios survived a tough opener in Mallorca

On Tuesday, Kyrgios edged out Serbia’s Laslo Djere 5-7 7-6 (1) 7-6 (1) in the Mallorca first round. 

“I’ve played good tie-breaks in my career and I know that if I’m serving well I’ve got a good chance,” Kyrgios said after edging out Djere,. “He was serving really, really well today and he played the big points really well. I’m just happy to win.”

Wimbledon starts on Monday and Kyrgios will use the next four days to get some rest and get himself ready for The Championships. 

Kyrgios has played lots of tennis this grass season and he certainly won’t be lacking matches and confidence going into Wimbledon. 

Kyrgios started his grass season two weeks ago in Stuttgart, where he reached the semifinal.

Last week, Kyrgios made the Halle semifinal before losing to Hubert Hurkacz. 

After two strong runs in Germany, Kyrgios will be hoping to put on a strong run at Wimbledon. 

Kyrgios’ best result at Wimbledon remains the quarterfinal he achieved in his tournament debut in 2014. 

Kyrgios will be unseeded at Wimbledon and many believe he is the player no one will want to face early.