Aryna Sabalenka: Why couldn’t they just isolate me from others and let me play?

Belarusian tennis star Aryna Sabalenka is having a hard time accepting that she is not allowed to participate at the Indian Wells Masters. 

Sabalenka, ranked at No. 2 in the world, texted positive for the coronavirus and she was withdrawn from the Indian Wells Masters. 

The weather in Indian Wells is great and being in quarantine isn’t easy for Sabalenka.

Sabalenka wondered why they didn’t just isolate her and let her come out of quarantine only to play matches.

“It’s so beautiful outside! I want to play, I want to do tournaments. I’m tired of training or doing nothing. I need to go outside and play. Why couldn’t they just isolate me from the other players and let me play? I could keep my distance and stay away from everyone. But I guess it wouldn’t work well because we would always hit the same balls, and it could be dangerous,” Sabalenka said, per We Love Tennis.

Sabalenka won’t be making her third Indian Wells appearance in 2021 

Sabalenka made her Indian Wells debut in 2018, when she made the third round. 

The following year, Sabalenka made the Indian Wells round-of-16 before losing to Angelique Kerber.

“Unfortunately I’ve tested positive at Indian Wells and won’t be able to compete,” Belarusian Sabalenka wrote on her Instagram story on Saturday. “I’ve started my isolation and I’ll be staying here until I’m cleared by the doctors and health officials. So far I’m looking ok but really sad to not be able to play this year.”

Sabalenka last played at the US Open, where she lost to Leylah Fernandez in the quarterfinal. 

After the loss, Sabalenka blamed putting too much pressure on herself.

“Going into the first match, I didn’t have any expectations. I was playing simple because when you’re, like, not in the best shape and you’re trying to make it close to the lines, it’s not working. You play simple with more targets.” Sabalenka said after the loss.