Andy Murray delays his start of North American hard court swing campaign

Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray has withdrawn from the Atlanta Open. 

Murray, 35, was scheduled to make his Atlanta debut next week. 

Unfortunately, Murray won’t be kicking off his North American hard court swing campaign in Atlanta. 

One of the reasons why Murray initially signed up to play Atlanta was because of his goal to improve his ranking ahead of the US Open. 

Murray is the 50th-ranked player in the world he would like to return to the top-30 so he can be a seeded player at Grand Slams again. 

Murray not happy with results but will continue playing

Last week, Murray competed in Newport, where he suffered a 7-5 6-4 loss to Alxander Bublik in the quarterfinal. 

After the match, Murray didn’t hide his disappointment. 

“Obviously I just want the results to be a bit better,” Murray said after the Newport exit. “I felt like I had a good chance of [advancing] here. If I got through Bublik, it would have been a good opportunity potentially in the semi-finals. But, to have my body feeling pretty good and getting lots of matches in is important for me.”

When asked for how long he plans to keep on playing, Murray said for as long as he sees a progress. 

“[I want] to continue to improve,” Murray stated. “If I keep seeing progress I’ll continue to keep playing. It was disappointing. [The] first set came down to a couple of points and then I had a few opportunities in the second. But I thought he played a pretty solid match. Generally he can be a little bit up and down, but there was really only one moment in the second set [when] he was a bit inconsistent. But for most of the match, he was solid.”

Now, Murray is expected to return to action at the Citi Open in Washington.

The Citi Open kicks off on August 1.